Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Seeing Mount Cook



Mount Cook is the highest mountain in New Zealand at 12,376 ft.  We had been told the best time to see it was at dusk or at dawn.

When we were finishing dinner in Fox Glacier, Lois noticed that the high clouds were lifting from the mountains so we decided to drive the 10 km out to the lookout.  We had a great view of it as the sunset.

Mount Cook at Dusk
The forecast was for the next morning to be clear so I got up at 6:30 AM in the dark and did the 40 minute hike out to Reflection Island on Lake Matheson.  This is the place where any pictures we have seen of Mount Cook have been taken.  It was still almost dark and I did wonder at time why I was doing it.  I should have taken a flash light – I could make out the trail but I had to be about 6 inches from the signs to read them.  It was well worth the hike – the view was spectacular as the sun rose.  2 Asian men were there before me and had their tripods and huge cameras set up.  There was still room for me and I spent a half hour there enjoying the tranquility and beautiful scene.  On the way back I met at least 100 people headed to the viewpoint so I was glad I went early.

Mount Cook at Dawn



1 comment: