Sunday, March 18, 2012

Oysters and Other Edibles


One of my sisters once told me that when I write about a trip, I talk a lot about what I ate!  I decided to try to avoid doing so on this blog.  Having said that I decided I needed to make an entry about food!

I have had 6 different varieties of oysters since arriving in NZ.  They have all been delicious – very mild.  People were telling me that when we got to the South Island, I’d be able to get Bluff oysters as they would be in season.  I have now had them a couple of times and they are terrific.  They are very different than anything I have had before as they are quite meaty.  They come from Bluff which is on the straight between the South Island and Stewart Island at the bottom of NZ.

We have had some wonderful meals since arriving in NZ.  Lots of fish and seafood and the lamb, beef and venison are outstanding.  To some extent it is a lot like eating in Britain in that there is lots of meat but they are light on the vegetables.  If you want vegetables you need to order a separate portion.  Lois was even told jokingly that she shouldn’t have to worry about eating vegetables when she was on vacation!  When we have an urge for vegetables we go to a Thai restaurant and have a stir fry.

Deer are farmed here for their meat and you see fields full of them, the same way you see cattle and sheep.   In fact New Zealand has 50% of the world’s farmed deer.

A Herd of Deer
A Stag (Sign said "Stay Back Rutting Season")
 One B and B had a set of scales but neither of us stood on them.  We will worry about that when we get home!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy reading about different kinds of food! It's a very interesting part of travel.

    ReplyDelete