Sunday, March 18, 2012

Queenstown and Extreme Sports



The drive from Wanaka to Queenstown was relatively short through more beautiful countryside.  We stopped in Arrowtown, a short distance from Queenstown, and had lunch.  Arrowtown is an old gold mining town and has been restored much like St. Jacobs.  There are lots of shops and restaurants.

Queenstown is the extreme sports capital of New Zealand and I think maybe of the world.  There are many extreme sports (paragliding, downhill mountain biking, bungee jumping, luge , an ice bar (the temp. is -5C)etc.) in a relatively small area.  The result is there are all kinds of young people around.  We were there for St. Patrick’s Day and the town was really hopping.  Our B and B was very close to the center of town but it was like an oasis in all the hubbub.  It is owned by 2 young fellows and they were the most amazing hosts.  They even drove us to dinner and picked us up each night because the hilly terrain was difficult for Lois.

We did go down the lake on a 100 year old steam boat, the Earnslaw, to a lunchtime barbeque at a farm.  It was very enjoyable and relaxing. 

The Earnslaw
 In the afternoon Lois wanted to have a sleep so I went up the gondola to overlook the city.  That’s when I realized the extent of the extreme sports as many of them are accessed via the gondola.  Heights aren’t my favorite so when I got up there I wondered why I had done so but I did go out any take one picture from the viewing gallery.  Geoff and Craig, I felt much like I did the time we went to the CN Tower!
From the Observation Deck (taken from close to the wall!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment